Tuesday, 5 April 2016

Nigeria's State Oil Corporation Withheld Billions In 2015: Report

Nigerian National Petroleum headquarters
Petroleum hawkers are seen outside the corporate headquarters of the state-run Nigerian National Petroleum Corp. in Abuja, July 13, 2015.PHOTO: REUTERS/AFOLABI SOTUNDE
Nigeria’s state-run oil firm is withholding billions of dollars in revenue from the government’s coffers despite President Muhammadu Buhari’s reform efforts, according to a report published Thursday by the Natural Resource Governance Institute, a New York-based watchdog. Under Buhari’s administration, Nigerian National Petroleum Corp. failed to remit $4.2 billion — 66 percent of proceeds — to the treasury in the second half of last year, the report revealed.
The company, aka NNPC, raked in $6.3 billion from its crude oil sales in the second half of 2015, but only $2.1 billion entered the government’s account. While some of the company’s withholdings cover known costs, NNPC has not fully explained other expenses.
“This was 12 percent higher than the withholdings under Goodluck Jonathan in 2013 and 2014,” authors Aaron Sayne and Alexandra Gillies said in the report, obtained by International Business Times. “Corruption aside, allocating $4.2 billion in six months to NNPC expenses of unknown priority raises serious questions about fiscal responsibility.”
The report said it would be cheaper for the Nigerian government to finance its record $30 billion budget for the 2016 fiscal year by reining in NNPC spending rather than through outside borrowing. Nigeria expects to spend more than a third of its federal revenue servicing its debt this year, up from 26 percent last year, the country’s Debt Management Office said this month.
"The Finance Ministry has floated plans to fund this year’s appropriations with a further $5 billion in loans from the World Bank and other lenders. These lenders, along with Nigerian stakeholders, should ask hard questions about the blank check enjoyed by NNPC before giving a green light to new debt,” the authors warned in the report.
Buhari, who was elected in March of last year on an anti-graft and anti-terrorism ticket, has vowed to clean up corruption within the state-owned oil firm. A  reportpublished last summer by the National Resource Governance Institute found the NNPC withheld about $12.3 billion from the sale of 110 million barrels of oil over 10 years during the administrations of Presidents Goodluck Jonathan and Umaru Musa Yar’Adua.
Since taking office in late May, Buhari has appointed himself as the petroleum minister, fired the entire board and executive directors of the NNPC and hired a Harvard-educated lawyer as the company’s managing director to lead reforms. But Thursday’s report suggests there’s still much work to be done.
“The leadership could build on gains made to date by clarifying the financial relationship between the NNPC and the state. Otherwise, oil sector corruption and waste could return to their prior devastating levels once the president leaves office or prices rise,” the authors said in the report.

Nigeria's State Oil Corporation Withheld Billions In 2015: Report

Nigerian National Petroleum headquarters
Petroleum hawkers are seen outside the corporate headquarters of the state-run Nigerian National Petroleum Corp. in Abuja, July 13, 2015.PHOTO: REUTERS/AFOLABI SOTUNDE
Nigeria’s state-run oil firm is withholding billions of dollars in revenue from the government’s coffers despite President Muhammadu Buhari’s reform efforts, according to a report published Thursday by the Natural Resource Governance Institute, a New York-based watchdog. Under Buhari’s administration, Nigerian National Petroleum Corp. failed to remit $4.2 billion — 66 percent of proceeds — to the treasury in the second half of last year, the report revealed.
The company, aka NNPC, raked in $6.3 billion from its crude oil sales in the second half of 2015, but only $2.1 billion entered the government’s account. While some of the company’s withholdings cover known costs, NNPC has not fully explained other expenses.
“This was 12 percent higher than the withholdings under Goodluck Jonathan in 2013 and 2014,” authors Aaron Sayne and Alexandra Gillies said in the report, obtained by International Business Times. “Corruption aside, allocating $4.2 billion in six months to NNPC expenses of unknown priority raises serious questions about fiscal responsibility.”
The report said it would be cheaper for the Nigerian government to finance its record $30 billion budget for the 2016 fiscal year by reining in NNPC spending rather than through outside borrowing. Nigeria expects to spend more than a third of its federal revenue servicing its debt this year, up from 26 percent last year, the country’s Debt Management Office said this month.
"The Finance Ministry has floated plans to fund this year’s appropriations with a further $5 billion in loans from the World Bank and other lenders. These lenders, along with Nigerian stakeholders, should ask hard questions about the blank check enjoyed by NNPC before giving a green light to new debt,” the authors warned in the report.
Buhari, who was elected in March of last year on an anti-graft and anti-terrorism ticket, has vowed to clean up corruption within the state-owned oil firm. A  reportpublished last summer by the National Resource Governance Institute found the NNPC withheld about $12.3 billion from the sale of 110 million barrels of oil over 10 years during the administrations of Presidents Goodluck Jonathan and Umaru Musa Yar’Adua.
Since taking office in late May, Buhari has appointed himself as the petroleum minister, fired the entire board and executive directors of the NNPC and hired a Harvard-educated lawyer as the company’s managing director to lead reforms. But Thursday’s report suggests there’s still much work to be done.
“The leadership could build on gains made to date by clarifying the financial relationship between the NNPC and the state. Otherwise, oil sector corruption and waste could return to their prior devastating levels once the president leaves office or prices rise,” the authors said in the report.

Monday, 21 March 2016

positive mind

Your words set the very tone for your life. Speak faith filled words and you will obtain the positive results you seek.
It's our actions that determine the viability of our dreams.
Ignore the negative. Always smile at life. Turn your ambitions into real action.
If there be  problems they will not devour you; you will devour them for your growth.
Set your hopes up high, don't settle for the less; Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.

Friday, 5 February 2016

N3trillion Loot: Buhari Urged to Probe Amaechi's Administration as Rivers Governor


An NGO in Rivers state has urged Buhari to extend his anti-corruption war to Rivers state where ruins were allegedly left behind by corruption.
Rotimi Chibuike Amaechi
  
A group, Rivers Awake, a non-governmental organisation (NGO), has asked President Muhammadu Buhari, to assist the government of Rivers State, recover a sum of N3trillion, said to have been looted from the state in the past years, according to the Nigerian Tribune.

The group, in a statement signed by three of its leaders, including Messrs Dagogo Ferdinand, Ezenwa Wodi  and Ezekiel Amachree,  said that a chunk of Rivers money also went into the presidential primaries and campaigns of the All Progressives Congress(APC).

The group said specifically that between 2007 and 2015, federal allocations accruing to the state totaled N3trillion, but expressed surprised that as at May 2015, workers were owed months of salary arrears, while a number of projects were abandoned.
 
The group said: “Looking back, it is puzzling that with the volume of funds that accrued to Rivers State, workers were owed salaries for four months, aged pensioners were not paid their pensions for eight months, and teachers were not paid for over 12 months.

“There were also the abandoned N60 billion mono-rail project and the N3billion Woji Road that was varied to N14 billion, yet abandoned but completed by the current government. Another was the 250-bed Karibi-Whyte hospital that the immediate past administration effortlessly dumped after huge funds had been drawn down on it."
 
It should be noted that the current Minister of Transport, Rotimi Chibuike Amaechi was the governor of the state for 8 years while the funds in question were misappropriated.!

Saturday, 16 January 2016

what is the fate of this Arsenal trio

                                                      Rosicky, Flamini and Arteta.

what does fate hold for this Arsenal senior players who are currently returning to the team from long term injuries by the end of the season?

The contracts of veteran trio Arteta, Flamini and Czech Republican Thomas Rosicky all come to an end this summer, and Arsenal are planning to part companies with them as they embark on a major overhaul.


Presently there are no signs of the club giving these trio contract extention by the end of the summer. Having to do with some of the promising young lads and possible additions coupled with the arrival of Elneny.French midfielder Flamini, 31, is in his second spell with the Gunners while Rosicky, 35, despite his considerable injury absences, has been with the club since 2006 winning two FA Cups and Arteta, 33, joined from Everton in 2011 and has become fans favourite which lured Wenger into giving the Spaniard the captain’s armband.  

Tuesday, 12 January 2016

the world most expensive phone sells for $8 million

Diamond Rose iPhone 4 32GB-$8 million

The world’s most expensive iPhone to date is the 32 GB iPhone 4 Diamond Rose by Stuart Hughes. With a price of about $8 million the phone’s bezel is made of rose and approximately 500 individual flawless diamonds that total over 100ct. The back is also rose gold and features the Apple logo all decked out with 53 additional diamonds, while the front navigation button is platinum with interchangeable single cut 7.4ct pink or rare 8ct Flawless diamonds in the center.

SHOCKING: 2016 budget documents stolen from National Assembly - Premium Times Nigeria

SHOCKING: 2016 budget documents stolen from National Assembly - Premium Times Nigeria: President Buhari had presented a N6.08 trillion budget for the fiscal year 2016 to a joint session of the National Assembly.